THREE POEMS

By Olayioye Paul

                                           Saatchi Art 



BLIGHT 

For the people killed in saint Francis Parish 


All fires, I know, begins with a spark, a tongue 
touching the prose of words. Then comes the 
blaze, tearing everything that names itself 
beautiful, before leaving the ashes for the press. 
So I learn to close everything I name beautiful, 
for the rifle. Even my body, a water that absorb 
a pebble like tsunami. But these little pages, 
trying to ink their heart with God's word, touch 
fire. They're beautiful, adroit shaped bumf. & 
the sun likes it. Then the stars. Then the vultures, 
obstructing the sun. Then the hovering, life mince
carcass shading in a chapel. These christianed 
peasants were only trying to hallow a day, 
their cloths unraveling the happiness. But each
day has a way of munching its sacrifice. It 
begins with a prayer, then fire, then the whole 
body. Their vacuum body, wants to refill it with 
bliss, with God. But the bullets escape God first 
into the hearts, & build a grenade that wet the 
vestibule, red. Today we heard the news & our 
ears were permeate with fear. Our hearts melt
with fear. Mother took us in, soften our hairs 
with oil & dribble prayers on them. My body, 
freezing more than the prayers. If prayer is the 
bulletproof, why did the members sleep before 
the altar? 







                                                             







PORTRAIT OF PAIN 

because pain is a body / & the body, mine / because the night 
is a microphone, standing erect to the mouth / I have decided 
to aired a song of lamentation / clad on my torso. elegy, the 
leading crochet. / I know of many words, grief is one. / that 
means grief is only a word / until it bullet into your heart / 
flamed it with pain / & leave you to tell of the ashes; until / it 
makes you, a graffiti / scribbled on the wall for people to see / 
how amoebic, your heart erects. / here, I am an ocean, inhabited 
with pain / surging inside of me. / taste me to feel the saltiness 
of grief. / taste me & see how easily you can spat me out of your 
mouth. / they said the sea has no cure, except to keep being 
salty. / & I, I'm a heir, following the path it strode / but I did 
search for a cure - to cure the grief, spreading on my skin like 
leprosy. / but I couldn't, instead they increase. / I walked in the 
basilica to meet a clergy / whose words, I believe, are saber / that
can scion the pain. / I walked, the ground echoed my footsteps. /
I walked, fear ripples into bubbles / & I thought I was turning 
the knobs of hell with my foot. / I spittle every grief on my hairy 
tongue to him. / but he gathered them into a bowl & poured them 
back into my tongue / & said, endure the pain. / I wondered if he meant
that I should wait till it rottens / & withers. / but of course, my longing 
has blossomed into a rose tree. / & now, thorns came out as fruits on 
each branch. / I wondered if the clergyman doesn't know that the boy
sitting before him, is a vessel / flowered by grief. I'm a caterpillar. grief 
blossomed into a butterfly in the inside. // there in the apse, another boy 
kneel by the altar. / his lips, bruised, rarely slit apart. / the clergy said, his
father kept whetting the boy's spine with a cudgel. & the father wet his 
lips with mead. / now, he is fruiting endurance. / & I pondered if I must 
bruised my back, before God can see my agony. / whether until, I turned 
it to a hymn. / perhaps mine is small. / perhaps I'm just a urchin, who is
cloaked with the tussle of life. / perhaps this is how my life was mold into. /
maybe, it is me, trying to see myself in another's picture. / I mean, this 
is how pain crushed me, whenever I am draped with silence. night.  






                                                               






HOW I VIEW SCIENCE WITH DESIRE

i shamble into the lab with the professor / a 
gyroscope was cycling into a 90 degree / at 
a second. / on the chimney rock / shallow skulls
/ clog in a prism / stares back into my nightmares. /
i ask why everything looks death / if science 
is life / & he respond with his googles / glue to
a microscopic lens /: science is life / but it seeks to create 
its own life / as mathematicians trudge to approximate 
0.4 to a holistic figure. at once i reminiscence the scripture 
that says: & this life / is the light of men. / how much 
i desire to be a light / dissolving musk shadows, & 
dawning exhilaration upon peasants nestle under 
bridges. / i once live there, sipping from the / 
ocean of miseries & i know how a mosquito / 
nail a radius in the skin / for cold to inn. // the professor 
spout / in between my imbroglio thoughts / that science 
believe in flowers / & flowers need light to unbud their 
petals. / & i told him how i once gargle my gullet / & 
spit on a budding flower / & to my marvel / it blossom. /
& he said: boy, you gat constellation in your palates. /
but if only i could pour these galaxies into a poem /
for urchins / drench with grief / to absolution their heart with 
it. / if only i could pluck out the sorrows from their faces /
& replace it with an iridescent. // the professor said desires
are chameleon / morphing the heart into instability. / & i 
told the professor how i always dream / of becoming the 
first astronaut / to bring down galaxy into a (b)right ocean /
waving it into smiles & music. // he chuckle & said: someday 
son, someday. 








                                                 
Olayioye Paul Bamidele is a writer, and student of mass communication. Some of his works are forthcoming in Spillword, Lunaris, Afreecan, Artlounge, Ninshar Art, Kreative Diadem, Ice Floe, Kitchen Sink and elsewhere. 

Comments

Popular Posts