THREE POEMS

By Oladosu Michael Emerald

                     Photo Credit: Edith Brown



A BRIEF CHRONOLOGY OF MY SILENCE

I walk in the night
where my demons love to hide.
Did my mother create loneliness,
or was I fathered by silence?

I worship silence like a god.
I am fluent in silence.
I mutter my prayers without uttering a word.
They say "God is in our hearts,"
So I guess He hears the language of silence too.

Presently, I've been to hell & back & it's barely noon.
I'm scared to go outside.
My deepest, darkest fears feel like they are filling up the sea.
I float like sand in a stampede–despair mixes with little nylons.
I've been down on myself, I forgot how to believe in myself.
I never asked for help, now I just struggle with it secretly.

A ghost is a shell of cessation,
A capsule of silence,
The beginning of the end, of a new, even greater stretch of darkness.

I'm emotionally slashed.
I don't listen to what the world says,
I avoid them filling my ears with salt.

I just want to enjoy life & break the rules,
give names to the stars
& wish they are not the shooting ones.
I will keep searching for the energy to find my smile.
& pretend nothing ever ends


 

 
                                                               






INTERVIEW


"When did you first know of grief?"

I first knew grief 
When I saw a street kid 
with a swollen eye like an owl,
& a thin neck like my granny's broom.
I first knew grief in his potbelly,
where I saw the signature of the gods 
scribbled on his feeble intestine.

I first knew grief 
When I called myself a poet.
I find synonyms for my pains.
My traumas.
& my grief.





                                                               





EVERY WINE IS A CATALYST TO POROUS MIND

a wine micra taxi
dropped a fat man
at the curbside.
he wore a blue agbada 
he entered a bar covered with a roof
of brown & black colour.
he sat with anxiety at the round table 
of an empty bottle of wines–
pouring beer in the faces of the waiters.
he forgot the taste of beans & bread,
the way he forgets how his legs walk in the darkness.
beer is an independent variable to a drunkard;
no matter how you stumble on your way,
you'd still find your road to the tavern.
the fat drunkard found his way out of the bar,
with a body of compass,
that points gutter as home when it rains.
he spent the night, lying in a gutter, like a dead man in a casket. 






  

                                                                     
Oladosu Michael Emerald (he/him) is a Nigerian poet, digital/musical/visual artist, and a photographer. He believes in reality, and duality. He tweets @GemmyEmerald



Comments

Popular Posts