God, My Fantasies are High Above Me

By Adesope Ogunlade

                                 Photo Credit: Peyablo


GOD, MY FANTASIES ARE HIGH ABOVE ME

  —up in the air
jelly like white smokes
oozing out of a damp wood.

i am a quarry of sanity. say 
every pore on my body is a wound 
of chisel-mouthed diggers, track 
of trailers or footprint of whatever
had left me,
deserted as desert and dense like rainforest.

everytime i look into myself, a 
cloud of cosmos lay before me, gleaming 
in my eyes like silt. i don't know, God, 
i don't know if this is a way of climbing 
into your arms: but i will like to hold 
the furry face of the sun for you; and stand on 
a stool, rake the stars with my claws,
suspend the moon, like crucifix, with a
noose around my neck. God, you will 
be thrilled to choose an angel over me?

but you know, i am a cat with scraped
paws: lost and untraceable on this hard
land. a fellow poet still think i brew
metaphors while a friend, drunk in 
his legs, come to ask me of when i will 
see your fairies, conveying the dead soul 
of his sister and other congregation in
the St. Francis Catholic church at Owo 
on their shoulders, 
stop to drink under the tall-mainland bridge. 

but, God, 
i don't see it. i only sniff the aromated stench 
of mockery in his grief; one can say he'd only try 
to plant his rotten seeds with tattered hope.
one can say i, too, lost in imagination, is
a road to hell, full of stumbling rocks. i 
don't know, God, i still don't know if this 
is a way of saying it: but.. it's.. like there's 
a cinema in my head and when i've got to 
see it, it's like a vegetation of elephant grasses 
set ablaze. God, i don't see the fire but the 
smokes are white and jelly
like one erupting from a chimney
dancing up in the air.







                                        
Adesope Ogunlade is a young writer/poet. His works appear in the FIFWA bimonthly anthology–Issue One and PIJAlance Inaugural Issue. He writes from Ibadan.

Comments

  1. Omisakin Abimbola DavidJune 29, 2022 at 2:35 AM

    Keep it up Adesope Ogunlade. Grace, Mercy and Favor would speak for you in every area of your life. #God at work #One love keep us together

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a thoughtful poem.. You make my day. Thanks for this wonderful piece of art

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops I got goose bumps
    Nice one my boy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts